Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day and Flowers

Today was my first day. I did as I was told and hit the procedures/rules hard, and will continue to review and revisit as needed. I hope to model teaching after my sister-in-law Stephanie's parenting: clear boundaries and expectations, patience, and deliberate training. We'll see.

My First 2 classes were filled with Freshmen who were terrified. It was funny to realize they were more nervous than I was! My 4th period was seniors who knew the drill, but they made me laugh. I had them working in groups on something and one guy starts yelling/conversating across the room to another guy... I said "Hunter, you are working in groups right now." to which he replies, "Miss, I choose him to be my group."  I gave him "the look" as I've been instructed to do, but inside I was laughing. I quickly informed him that his table is his group.

Then there was 5th period. This one will be interesting - seeing as there was almost a fight today on the first day. Fortunately I have a wonderful co-teacher in the room to help with the kids who need some extra guidance.

During 5th period I received these! My sweet sweet mother was so nice to send them to me today. And of course, all my kids said, "Miss, who day from?" and one replied "Mmmmm, bettah be her husband..." haha. I let them know, my loving mother sent them.

1 comment: