I've had two recent additions to my already crazy 5th period... both recently out of some type of Lock Up or Juvey or something. One of them really scared me - his resting facial expression just looks mean! We'll call him Zeus.
I really was timid and shaky around Zeus, as he's seemingly always in trouble and others express fear of him too. I think he hangs out with the people he hangs with because they tend to be the only stable thing in his life. But I made up my mind that he just needs love and stability and to be believed in just like anyone else. So I started greeting him with a smile at the door every day, I started seeking to "catch" him doing right and encourage him immediately, and I started praising him greatly when he did well on assignments and tests. He's actually quite bright when he applies himself. One day he finally smiled back and he wasn't scary at ALL, in fact, he was so kind looking!
Before Spring Break I had to give a quiz, and my 5th period (last class of the day) were itching to get out of there. Zeus made it clear he did not want to take the quiz. I handed it to him anyway with a smile and when I turned around he threw it on the floor. When I looked back I said, "who's quiz is that?" and he said, "I dunno." I smiled an "I know it's yours smile" and said, "Come on Zeus, take the quiz." And to my surprise, he picked it up and got to work.
At the end of the period, a few minutes before the bell, he was standing by the door and I just felt overwhelmed to express care and love for him, but wasn't sure how. So I just decided to wing it (aka, let the Spirit lead). And out came the words "Do you have a job?" He said he did and told me where. I asked if he would be working a lot during Spring Break, and he said yes. Then I just stared at him, smiling, not sure of what to say next, then out came "are you going to come back to me next week safely?" He just stared at me, then said, "yes ma'am." Then he began spewing, telling me that "They" (the police I guess) were trying to lock him up again, but he didn't do anything wrong, and all he had was a month left on probation, but that next week (Spring Break) was gonna be hard to not get in trouble. I nodded and listened, then held out my hands like scales and said, "Zeus, one week of your life of being good versus getting your whole life back next month." and I moved my hands up and down as though weighing the two options. He then looked me in the eyes, nodded and smiled and said, "A'ight Miss, I'll be good, I'll come back safe." Then I held out my arms for a hug, and (again to my surprise) he gave me a huge hug. Then the bell rang and he left.
I prayed for him tons over the break, and wondered how he was doing. Couldn't wait til 5th period on Monday to see him again. And in he came, looked at me and smiled. I couldn't help but smile back. And he came over and gave me another hug, and then sat and got to work. Now he's helping me in class, doing small little things like pick up books and put them away, quiet the other kids when they are getting rowdy, throw trash away for me, etc. It's CRAZY!!!!
Each day brings new opportunities for God to use me, a broken vessel, to love His wounded and hurting children. I really am amazed. I have to hide my surprise when I see that Love really does overcome every boundary. I guess it drives the scripture home when Jesus said "They'll know us by our Love". Thanks to you - my friends/family - who are reading this. I know your support and prayers are with me and I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment