Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Starts with a C, or does it?

This year, October 29th in schools everywhere = kids spaz out because Halloween is coming over the weekend and they think it's a national holiday and therefore shouldn't have to work. I decided to try and outsmart them and "trick" them into doing work by giving them "treats". I happened to have some cupcakes and candy left in my room from my 4th period senior class that I quickly realized I could use as a carrot to keep my 5th period freshmen focused for one hour before the bell rang to release them to all their gremlin delight.

So I began to teach about Cell Respiration, and that after Glycolysis it depends on if there is Oxygen present as to whether it continues in Cell Respiration or undergoes Fermentation. We played hangman to get to big words they hadn't learned yet and I was rewarding them with treats for right answers all the while. My typically reticent fishies were eating out of my hand within minutes. (literally)

After discussing the aerobic pathway (presence of oxygen), I tried to lead them to the other pathway. I was looking for a response that was anything like this: anaerobic, lack of oxygen, no oxygen, etc. One student up front, who was feasting on his previous prize, muttered under his breath "lack of oxygen" while all the other kids were shouting things like "CARBON", "HYDROGEN", "KREBS CYCLE", etc. I barely heard this young man and quickly jumped to him to get him to say it loud enough for the others to hear.

I said, "YES, Dalls!, Say what you said again!"

With a mouthful of cupcake he shouts, "Carbon!" I said, "No, the other thing!" He swallows and shouts, "CUPCAKE!" I giggle and shake my head 'no' to get him to try again. To which he replies with all gusto, "CORNBREAD!!!"




I couldn't hold my laughter in. I love teaching.

1 comment: