Friday, September 17, 2010

5th Period Dynamics

3 students in my 5th period make an interesting dynamic...Klopek (whom I've already posted about), and 2 others we will name Saldy and Stivaker.

Stivaker is a sweet young man who needs a little extra help and love. He can get frustrated and angry, but for the most part he has been in good spirits everytime he's in my class. Last week someone stole a $100 bill out of Stivaker's wallet during gym class just because they could. That infuriated me. Then, the other day, Klopek called Stivaker "special ed", which greatly upset Stivaker because he indeed does need some extra time and attention. Another teacher helped Stivaker calm down and get refocused while...

Klopek and I had a talk that day outside. He has skipped class a few times, he's been suspended for cussing out another teacher. When he is in class he won't do work, he refuses to take notes, and he slums his way through tests and quizzes not even reading the questions. In our talk on Wednesday, (after making a huge spectacle of being asked to go outside) he said he thinks no one cares about him and he hates school and he doesn't want to do or be anything when he grows up. He said he picked on Stivaker because everyone else picks on him and Stivaker is lower than him in the pecking order so he was easy to mess with. I told him it's unacceptable to pick on a Special Ed kid. He wanted me to send him to the office, but because that's what he wanted, I denied him the "privilege" of getting out of class and asked him to go back in and get to work. He complied for a while, then put his head down and went to sleep. I gave up on Wednesday. Meanwhile...

Saldy. Saldy is one of my football players. He is mouthy and at times irritable, but every day I like him more and more. He asks questions, he tries to learn, and when he gets off task he is easily redirected (even if this happens many times in one day...). Saldy has taken it upon himself to be my protector. Wednesday, when Klopek made a spectacle, Saldy stopped me before I got to the door and said, "Mrs. Miller, I'll handle this." I smiled and said, "No, Saldy, I got it." He said, "No Mrs. Miller, what happens if he punch you?? Then I'ma have to go out there and handle it." To which I replied, "Don't worry, he's not going to punch me," and I went outside. When Klopek and I came back in, Saldy was waiting, sitting by the door, and his first question as he looks me straight in the eyes was, "Everything alright?" and he shifted his glance to Klopek who was returning to his chair. I told him everything was fine and we continued class.

So today, Klopek returns and again, refuses to do work. After asking him many times quietly and politely to get out paper and get started and he plain refused, I asked him to step outside. He abruptly stands up, says "THANK YOU, I wanna leave this class!" and grabs his backpack. I said, "Klopek, leave your backpack, you aren't leaving." He ignores me and keeps walking. I take a different path and get to the door and tell him again, "Go put your backpack down, you aren't leaving class." and then... explosion. "F**k you, f**k this class, I hate this S**t, stupid lame a$$ school." I say, "Go sit down."

Saldy leaps to his feet looking between Klopek and me. I tell him to have a seat too. I get the referral stuff out and the other teacher helps me fill it out (since I have NO idea how to do that!). And Saldy starts talking to me..."Mrs. Miller, let me handle this." I say, "No Saldy, he's going to the office." He says, "Mrs. Miller, he can't talk to you like that. I take care of this." By this time I'm finished writing and the other teacher escorts Klopek to the principal's office (where he receives 3 days suspension). And Saldy says, "Mrs. Miller, you know I got your back right? It's all for you gurrl, all for you." I just smiled and continued with class.

Pray for Klopek. Whatever has happened to him (or is still happening to him) is making him terribly angry and he acts out at school. He needs Jesus. and He needs an education, but he can't learn if he isn't in school, and he won't be in school if he keeps behaving this way.
Pray for Stivaker, that people won't pick on him so much.
Pray for Saldy, that he won't do anything crazy in the name of protecting.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! It is so fun seeing God work in you and through you with these kids! Hang in there!
    Kara Loeffelholz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about what you're facing and getting to "know" these kids. I'm so excited to see God be the light through you in the world! You are at the right place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, it's always encouraging to read other teachers blogs. I love hearing about the relationships built with the students.

    I had quite a year last year with a "cuss me out" 1st grader, coupled with hitting, throwing chairs, and breaking random things in my class. With a lot of "I care about you too much for you to act this way," "that is so sad," and other things, I saw a change (the BIG change came in March, but it certainly came!).

    I have him again this year since I've moved to 2nd and he will honestly do ANYTHING for me. He still acts out at times but is quick to change when I tell him it is upsetting "me." You're making a HUGE difference in all of your kids lives - and it'll only become more apparent as the year goes by. Especially next year when they just want to stop by to say hello!

    This is such an amazing ministry and I have seen the Lord work in some pretty indescribable ways. Hardest job ever and I wouldn't do anything else - the reward is just too great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing...you are such a light Snicks. Hang in there with the day to day craziness for the long term benefit. Funny...I have to do that too! ;) So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete